Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Negative Ions

For all of you wondering what negative ions are, here is the simple answer:

Negative ions occur in nature (around waterfalls, beaches, mountains, ect.) and when we come in contact with them, it makes us happy!

Well, okay, they are a bit more complicated than that, but basically according to my research (link below from webmd) negative ions help to increase levels of serotonin in our bodies, which help to alter our moods in a positive manner.

http://www.webmd.com/content/article/65/72756.htm?lastselectedguid={5FE84E90-BC77-4056-A91C-9531713CA348}

Negative Ion Addict just sort of fits me and is a great theme for my recent (and future) adventures. Thinking about it, I probably have always been a negative ion addict (and an adrenalin junkie)... I am sure that those of you who have know me for years can attest to that (especially those of you I went to high school with!). I just took some years off from my nature side to pursue activities that were more of the inside non-outdoorsy variety. You can only ignore stuff you like to do so long before you just have to restore balance! Admittedly, the pendulum may be swinging way to the opposite side at the moment, but I am enjoying myself immensely!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for enlightening me about negative ions. I can use some happiness right now. I'm sorry to rant about me, it's just that my journey in life just took a rough turn. Maybe waterfalls will help regain my happiness.