Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Waterfall season is almost here!

Yep that is right, waterfall season is just around the corner! This week will usher in the first rain of the season (so the forecasters say). It shouldn't take much to get all the coastal waterfalls flowing which means that very soon I can go get my feet muddy in search of new and exciting waterfalls (hopefully I won't fall in this year). Some ideas so far are: the 14 mile trek to see Murietta Falls in the Ohlone Wilderness here in the bay area, the Mt Diablo take two summit hike which can take me by at least one waterfall, and an out of state trip of course. I am looking forward to the 06/07 waterfall season, hopefully I will be able to match what I did in 05/06.

This is the perfect opportunity to recap that last season. The 05/06 season lasted from November to September (the main months were really January to July though). I am simply amazed at how many waterfalls I saw! I paused 84 separate times to view waterfalls. When I say paused, I actually went out of my way to get as close as I could to most of them (there are a few exceptions in Yosemite where you can clearly see the waterfall from the valley but I didn't go out of my way to get to the base of the waterfall). There were many that I viewed multiple times (also the lion's share of these were in Yosemite). I talked 14 separate people in to going to see one or more waterfalls with me. Thanks guys for making those trips awesome - I enjoyed each experience! My grand total for individual waterfalls seen was 50 (I think I might have missed a couple of unnamed ones, but oh well). Not too shabby!

So many waterfalls, so little time! Let the season begin :-D

1 comment:

Marcus Cornelius said...

You are the queen of waterfalls, no doubt about it. Happy Corn says he is impressed.